- During reader's workshop, we read Say Something which is a book about teasing and bullying and learned that as good readers, we must be always thinking about the characters' feelings and why.
- We also had a chance to begin reading partnerships and made a chart to help us remember how it looks, sounds and feels to be a great reading buddy.
- This morning we finished up math by completing our first homelink during snack and discussed good homework habits.
- Science time was spent comparing how the mealworm and waxworm are similar and different.
- Ask us about antonyms (opposites) because we learned a few during spelling time!
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Saturday, September 21, 2013
The students and I read a great book titled, Two Old Potatoes and Me by John Coy in preparation for our garden adventure of picking potatoes. At the end of the day, the students could take a potato home along with a mashed potato recipe from the book to enjoy!
Monday, September 16, 2013
- We were excited to see two fish when we got into our classroom. They will be our pets that we will take care of this year.
- Our morning meeting activity was called "Off My Back" and students had sticky notes on their backs with a number on it. They had to ask yes or no questions to the class to figure it out.
- During science we observed our mealworms and recorded the structures of their bodies as well as their behaviors.
- In reading, we discussed how readers should make goals and we worked on developing reading goals for ourselves and drew them in our reader response journals.
- We signed our classroom pledge based on our rules we developed together.
- Extra: We loved reading the book, Do Unto Otters (a book of manners)
Sunday, September 8, 2013
Our first week was one filled with lots of discovery, fun and learning. I have listed below a few of our highlights:
- We read the Recess Queen which helped us have a discussion about rules of the playground, bullying and friendship.
- During math time we worked on brainstorming all the ways we use math in our day, we completed number sequences and finished a journal page reviewing counting money.
- One activity we learned during morning meeting was called "Aka Baka Soda Cracker" it sounds silly but it got us moving!
- We practiced our first fire drill and once we heard the alarm noise it wasn't so bad.
- To help us practice our classroom expectations we created a RESPECT chart that we will review all year long.
- Writing time was filled with thinking of a topic we know a lot about and then getting down on paper! We also worked on creating an acrostic poem based on our names.
- We drew a hope or dream we have for ourselves this year in second grade!